45. M. Diehn et al., Association of reactive oxygen species levels
and radioresistance in cancer stem cells. Nature 458, 780–783
(2009). doi: 10.1038/nature07733; pmid: 19194462
46. P. Dalerba et al., Single-cell dissection of transcriptional
heterogeneity in human colon tumors. Nat. Biotechnol. 29,
1120–1127 (2011). doi: 10.1038/nbt.2038; pmid: 22081019
47. S. D. Robinson, G. B. Silberstein, A. B. Roberts, K. C. Flanders,
C. W. Daniel, Regulated expression and growth inhibitory
effects of transforming growth factor-beta isoforms in mouse
mammary gland development. Development 113, 867–878
(1991). pmid: 1821856
48. W. Ruan, C. B. Newman, D. L. Kleinberg, Intact and amino-terminally shortened forms of insulin-like growth factor I
induce mammary gland differentiation and development. Proc.
Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 89, 10872–10876 (1992). doi: 10.1073/
pnas.89.22.10872; pmid: 1438291
49. W. Ruan, V. Catanese, R. Wieczorek, M. Feldman,
D. L. Kleinberg, Estradiol enhances the stimulatory
effect of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) on
mammary development and growth hormone-induced
IGF-I messenger ribonucleic acid. Endocrinology 136,
1296–1302 (1995). pmid: 7867584
50. M. J. Guerquin et al., Transcription factor EGR1 directs
tendon differentiation and promotes tendon repair.
J. Clin. Invest. 123, 3564–3576 (2013). doi: 10.1172/
JCI67521; pmid: 23863709
51. E. D. Cohen et al., Wnt signaling regulates smooth
muscle precursor development in the mouse
lung via a tenascin C/PDGFR pathway. J. Clin. Invest.
119, 2538–2549 (2009). doi: 10.1172/JCI38079;
52. M. Kundakovic et al., Sex-specific epigenetic disruption
and behavioral changes following low-dose in utero
bisphenol A exposure. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.
110, 9956–9961 (2013). doi: 10.1073/pnas.1214056110;
This work was supported by a Susan G. Komen fellowship to C.Z.
and funding from the U.S. Department of Defense, the Breast
Cancer Research Foundation, and the Ludwig Institute for Cancer
Research. The cell imaging core of Stanford Neuroscience
Microscopy Service and the FACS core of Stanford Institute for
Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine were supported by
NIH core grants. We are grateful to K. M. Loh and J. Sage for
critical reading and helpful discussion of this manuscript. P.A.B. is
an investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
Figs. S1 to S10
5 November 2016; accepted 1 March 2017
Published online 9 March 2017