TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY
HEALTH SCIENCES CENTERTM
Senior Vice President for Research
GENERAL SUMMARY: Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) invites nominations and applications for the position of
Senior Vice President for Research. TTUHSC is a member of the Texas Tech University System which also includes Texas Tech University in
Lubbock and Angelo State University in San Angelo. The Senior Vice President will serve as the chief administrative officer responsible for all
research enterprises at the TTUHSC campuses located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Abilene, El Paso, Dallas, Midland and Odessa. Reporting directly to
the President of TTUHSC, the Senior Vice President will actively promote the research enterprises of TTUHSC within the Texas Tech University
System as well as champion its research mission at both the state and national level. This individual will be the principal architect for strengthening
and growing the research enterprise of TTUHSC.
1. Oversees the overall research program and infrastructure of TTUHSC.
2. Develops, together with university faculty engaged in research, a strategic plan for growing and enhancing the quality, visibility, and impact
of basic, translational, and clinical research conducted within the university.
3. Oversees the budget for the Office of Research and component functions as well as funds/resources for the development of research efforts
on all campuses.
4. Expands and strengthens the basic and clinical research enterprise at TTUHSC, particularly focusing on faculty hiring, strategic investments
in facilities and space, and increasing external research funding from national, state and local sources.
5. In close coordination with the Texas Tech University (TTU) Senior Vice President for Research, grows and explores strategic research
collaborations between the two institutions.
6. Works closely with the TTU Vice Chancellor for Research, Commercialization and Federal Relations and the TTUHSC Assistant Vice Chancellor
for Institutional Development in identifying, establishing, and maintaining collaborations with external stakeholders such as corporations,
government officials, and foundations that will provide support for basic, translational, and clinical research and commercialization at the
7. Provides supervision for the Research Integrity Office (RIO), responsible for ensuring compliance with agency guidelines; Office of Sponsored
Programs (OSP) review and approval of proposals for extramural funding and the acceptance of extramural grants for research, training and
services; responsible for the Laboratory Animal Research Center (LARC) including maintenance and health of animals used in research.
8. Responsible for reporting compliance issues to federal agencies for activities related to the Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional
Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and financial conflicts of interest in research.
9. Actively enhances the visibility of university research and provides external agencies, corporations and foundations with information on the
research, training and service capabilities of the university.
10. Provides administrative oversight in implementing the university’s agreements with state and federal agencies, corporations, and foundations
in the conduct of research and development activities.
11. Provides recommendations, leadership and management of proposals for large-scale research activities such as university-wide research and
pilot centers, centralized research facilities, interdisciplinary research programs and inter-institutional research agreements.
12. Leads efforts to develop and stimulate participation in activities that encourage interaction between the university and the private sector.
13. Encourages and assists faculty and other university personnel in developing opportunities for patents, licensing and commercialization.
14. Promotes research integrity and responsibility and ensures that all university personnel adhere to regulations, policies, procedures, and strict
standards of ethical conduct in planning, conducting and reporting research and scholarly activity.
15. Serves on the President’s Executive Council.
16. Undertakes additional assignments in research affairs at the direction of the president.
17. Advises the president on strategic plans for development and renovation of research space.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate for Senior Vice President for Research must have a PhD and/or MD degree with
academic credentials for appointment to the rank of full professor; work experience that demonstrates a successful and continuous record of
scholarship and success in obtaining federal peer-reviewed funding for research; outstanding achievement in developing and managing a diverse
staff; a commitment to quality and integrity; engaging interpersonal and public communication skills; and a demonstrated record of significant,
successful administrative experience in higher education, including actual experience in research administration. Experience as a chair, vice-chair,
division director, etc., preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of indirect costs, effort reporting, responsible conduct of research, federal and state
regulations relating to grants, human and animal use in research required.
Nominations and applications will be received until the position is filled. Applications should include: curriculum vitae; statement summarizing the
relevant credentials of the candidate; and complete contact information for at least three professional references. All materials should be submitted
electronically. TTUHSC is committed to diversity and encourages nominations and applications from all qualified individuals. Application should
be made through TTUHSC’s website ( http://jobs.texastech.edu/postings/48499). Confidential requests for information and nominations should
be directed to:
Matthew B. Grisham, PhD.
Chair, Search Committee for the Senior Vice President for Research
c/o Ms. Alicia Gauna
Department of Immunology and Molecular Microbiology
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
3601 4th Street STOP 6591
Lubbock, TX 79430-6591